The first settlers in the area arrived in the mid-1840s. Over the next quarter century, a church and school community developed and the number of farms increased. The arrival of the Texas and Pacific Railway in the 1870s established the settlement as a shipment point for area farmers. When local residents requested a post office, they submitted the name Scurry – in honor of Scurry Dean, who was killed during the Civil War. Post service began in 1883 and a year later, Scurry had an estimated population of fifty. By 1914, the community was home to around 400 people as well as a number of businesses. The Great Depression caused Scurry to decline, which lasted through the first decade after World War II. Only 250 people remained in the community by the mid-1950s. The trend was later reversed during the latter half of the twentieth century. In 1990, there were nine businesses and approximately 315 people living in the community. That figure approached 600 by 2000 and Scurry was officially incorporated as a town three years later.
Scurry Texas is approximately 21.7 miles from Lonestar RV Parks via FM-148S and TX-274S